Skip to main content

Let The Game Begin: Week 1, Session 1-12.

January 30 - February 2, 2018
The very first day of my teaching practice, i was awake until midnight, preparing the lesson plan and the presentation material. I had four class to teach, grade 8 Masipag and Mabait class, and grade 7 Environmentalists and Earth Savers, just wow, sleep late and wake up in the early morning, i can't even think well at that time. Here are my lesson plans for the first week :

Grade 7, Environmental Science 
Topic: Air Pollution

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

Grade 8, Science and Technology
Topic: Matter
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

The file of my lesson plans can be accessed from the links below:
Okay, back to the story. It was Tuesday, and the class started at 7.30 AM in Masipag class, but at least, i had like 4 hours of break time. 5.49 AM, i was awake and do the Subuh pray, and then took a bath and eat some toasted bread for breakfast, and went to the school by tricycle. I was already at school on 7.28 AM, almost...late, but luckily, there was a fire drill after the flag ceremony. The drill was finished at 7.48 AM, and then students went back to the class. My first teaching session was in Masipag class. Okay, the students already in class, also me. I was so nervous, my heart beating so fast, feels like it's going to pop out from my chest, Ma'am Adora sat on the observer's chair. Luckily, there was some time staller like checking the students presence, and singing the Philippines national anthem, yes the Masipag class had tradition to sing the national anthem every Tuesday and Friday, i got time to pray and calm myself. I was teaching about Matter, like the difference of liquid, solid and gas, of course, i introduced myself because it was my first time to meet them.
The fire drill after the flag ceremony.

Another view.
The class begin, I tried to give them an apperception about phases in matter by instructing them to stand up and play "SHOTS FIRED!" so the students must run around the class if i shout "GAS", and then walk slowly if i shout "LIQUID" and stop moving if i shout "SOLID", it's all resemble the molecule of the phases. The students were so eager with the apperception, they looks like expecting something more from me, like game. It wasn't for long, until in the middle of the session, they seems to be confused with my materials, sometime when i tried to ask something from them  to get a feedback, they just don't want to participate, and they don't paid attention to me anymore, i was so much nervous, cold sweat came out from all over my body when i saw Sir Mile was sat next to Ma'am Adora joined to observe me, i don't even saw him came into the class. I wished that a sniper shoot and blow my head in the front of the class, i'm dead. The class ended by prayer, and then Ma'am Adora told me to meet her in the faculty lounge.

At first, she asked me, what do i feel, and my circumstances throughout the session, of course i was totally nervous. But then she told me my biggest mistake during the session, my voice, it was too low, none of the students can hear me, it was like i'm speaking for myself, Ma'am Adora also said that some student complained to her, and asked her what i was explained. No wonder none of them like to answer my question. I have to speak more louder on the next session. What about the evaluation score? i only got 70-90 or fair, but in the other hand, Ma'am Adora liked my apperception, evaluation was done, and i went outside of the faculty room. I meet Sir Bernard in the front of the school gate, he greets me and told me the same problem like Ma'am Adora, he can't hear a thing during in my class, and suggested me to speak even louder, well... okay sir, i'm doing my best.

I called the tricycle and back to dorm, pray and eat some food, and take some rest. 12.39 PM, after Dzuhur pray, i went back to school, by walk, try to save some pesos, it was only takes 10 minutes from dorm to the school, quite near. 12.52 PM, i already in the front of the class, it was a session for Mabait class, well, i must say that the students are so eager to see me. Two minutes before the session, i prayed and tried to calm myself until then the session started. As usual, the class started by pray, greetings, and checking the student attendance, i also do the same apperception from Masipag class and give them some question. I tried to speak more louder to them and more active, like moving around the class while presenting the materials, and alhamdulillah, it was went well, the students are active, they are happy to give their opinion, even though they are sometime out of control, but hey, they just being a kid, i understand that, but the most important, the class was more "life".

Mabait class finished, and then i moved to the next class, Environmentalist and Earth Saver after it, both of the class are grade 7, and i was teaching for Environmental Science. Again, everything went well, i'm feeling thankful. After the sessions finished, i went to the faculty lounge with Ma'am Adora. She looks happy, because i was improved very quick, unlike the first session. There are lots of congrats notes in my evaluation paper. I don't take much documentation throughout the week, even i brought my dslr, i wasn't use it quite often in class. Everything went better for the whole week, i gave the students activities like drawing, games, essay writing, lab activity and quiz for the 8 grade. The scores in my evaluation report around 90 to 95 or "Above Average" for the SMU Self Evaluation paper, and "Proficient" for the SEAMEO Evaluation paper.

The essay writing activity about air pollution in Earth Savers class (Week 1, Session 7)
Drawing activity about air pollution in Earth Savers class (Week 1, Session 11)

So Busy eh?
Some of them prefer to work on the floor ! omg.
The lab activity just for the grade 8 only, it was about Changes in Matter, so the students understand the difference between chemical change and physical change in matter. It quite simple, the student bring some materials like wire, candle, paper and sugar, and then instructed them to do things like bending, or burn the material and classify which one was underwent a chemical or physical change, it's all in their book.
Lab activity Masipag class, (Week 1, Session 6)
Another snap.
"So... the bended copper wire underwent a physical change"
The topic in grade 8 about matter was finished at Friday for the Masipag class and Monday for the Mabait class, there have to be a quiz according to the lesson plan, so i made the quiz in multiple choices, essay and match making. I consulted with Ma'am Adora and she agreed with the quiz i made.
Here come the quiz! du...du...du...
 The file of the quiz can be accessed from the link below:
 I thought my quiz would be easy for them and have good scores, but the students are complaining because the quiz was hard. Well, not as i expected.

Days passed, i made connection with the students, they are just too much, i only know their faces but not with their name. They always greet me with "Hey Sir...!" or sometime they're make fun with my name, yes, in Ilocano, "Awan" mean "Nothing" so they just love to joke with me like "hey sir....Awan! (Nothing)". I love the students, they are intuitive and friendly. It's not fair i think, all of the students are friendly, but there was only one class that has the label "Mabait". They also skillful, some of them like photography, music, sports and drawing, so no wonder Ma'am Adora told me to give them activity like making song about the air pollution or poem, but i choose the essay activity. Sometime i spent my time talking with the students in Mabait class, sharing knowledge and culture, i learned some Tagalog and Ilocano words, and they also learned some Indonesian phrases. I feel thankful because i can joined the Sea Teacher Program, so i can meet with them.(C/H)

Popular posts from this blog

The School

After the fun at welcome party, Ma'am libey took us to our "office" for the next 2 weeks, Saint Mary's University Junior High School and Science High School. It wasn't far from campus, only like 2 minutes less by Tricey. Truly a massive school. Junior High School Department of SMU A quick snap before we going inside the view from inside. SMU Junior High School also part of the Saint Mary's University as secondary derpartment. The School itself use K to 12 Curriculum which is the in the Philippine's Education System. The logo of SMU However, the curriculum was modified since SMU Junior High School is a private school, like having a special class for the English subject, especially for the speaking, and some system to meet the standard from the university. K to 12 means the students will through 12 years of education, 6 years for the primary education, 4 years for the Junior High School, and 2 years for the High School. Sourc

A New Day.

Monday, January 22, 2018 5.47 AM, the sky was clear, i can barely saw the hills that surrounds Nueva Vizcaya, and the sun slowly rise from behind the hills plus the voice of the birds singing, how lucky i am, my dorm window view was heading to east, i can enjoy the beautiful view of sunrise between the hills everyday. I took a bath and wear my batik dress and alma mater, of course, don't forget the DSLR. All of my dormmate already prepared and we went to the campus, Saint Mary's University. Dr. Liberty told us to meet her at pavilion on 7.00 AM.  We passed the security guard, they already know that we are there for the students exchange program, actually, everyone who wants to go inside of the campus must tap their id card to the counter so the gate can be opened, or at least show the id to the guards, it was quite strict, but we don't have to go through the security check because you know.... students exchange, what a privilege. Later, we meet Dr. Matet near to the